Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Dave Peterson Dave Peterson is offline

Default Fill range/series help required please

The column letters will stay the same (B and W) with the $'s there. But you're
right, I don't know how the OP got the rows to increase by filling to the right.

But I think using =countif() is gonna cause more trouble than Loosey expects
when that workbook closes.

I figured I'd wait for the real question to show up <bg.

Gord Dibben wrote:

When Loosey writes

What I actually get is:
=COUNTIF('[2007.xls]Mar 07'!C3:X3,"U")
=COUNTIF('[2007.xls]Mar 07'!D3:Y3,"U")

To get that incrementing, looks to me like Loosey is dragging across columns
rather than dragging down rows of one column so the absolute refs won't do the
job.

Or am I missing what's happening?

Gord

On Tue, 29 May 2007 11:00:06 -0500, Dave Peterson
wrote:

If you try:

=COUNTIF('[2007.xls]Mar 07'!$B2:$W2,"U")

Does it work ok?

Be aware that as soon as you close 2007.xls and recalculate, you're going to see
an error. =countif() won't work when the sending workbook is closed.

Loosey wrote:

I am trying to auto fill a series, the problem I have is the wrong values are
amended through the series and I cannot see how to correct this. . .

My series to fill is:
=COUNTIF('[2007.xls]Mar 07'!B2:W2,"U")

I want to see:
=COUNTIF('[2007.xls]Mar 07'!B3:W3,"U")
=COUNTIF('[2007.xls]Mar 07'!B4:W4,"U")

What I actually get is:
=COUNTIF('[2007.xls]Mar 07'!C3:X3,"U")
=COUNTIF('[2007.xls]Mar 07'!D3:Y3,"U")

I really want the cell letter to remain the same but the row identifier to
change, however I get the opposite of what I want/need. . . . anyone got any
ideas please???

--

Dave Peterson