Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
[email protected] matthew.clegg@macquarie.com is offline

Default Round Up by a factor not by a digit [MROUNDUP(number,multiple)]

On May 25, 7:23 pm, "Bob Phillips" wrote:
wrote in message

oups.com...

Hi
thanks for your answers, I've added some new comments....

On May 24, 6:03 pm, "Bob Phillips" wrote:
1) =ROUND(A1/3)*3 [This rounds up and down and not only up as I require,
plus it uses digits rather than factors]

So use ROUNDUP.

Ceiling also uses digits but you seem happy with that. Give an example of
where mine gives you a differentr example to what you want

2) Why would you bother? [So I can learn the coding technique and then
adapt it to a more powerful and specific function]

Judging from your responses, your time would seem to be better served
understanding how formulae work so that you can adapt them.

3) a simple IF test

=IF(B1=1,MROUND(A8,3),MROUND(A8,4)) [This also rounds up and down, not
soley up as I require]

So just substitute my formula above with ROUNDUP in place of MROUND, the
principle is the same.

Thanks again, especially for insight into writing a function.
Regarding the equations, so how does your method result in values 21
to 24, for example, being rounded to 25 as per ceiling(x,5).
Judging from your responses.....