Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Dave Peterson Dave Peterson is offline

Default Sorting is Incomplete

And what was returned from that =isnumber() formula? I didn't see that answered
in your reply.

Try formatting those dates with a custom format of:
mmmm dd, yyyy

Do all the cells in that range display a long date?

How about the years? Are they what you expect?

Patlee wrote:

The cells are all birthdays in the column I am trying to sort (1/6 - 3/8 -
12/15, 6/20 - etc.) Excel sorts 82 birthdays correctly; that is, 1 through
12. However, on the 83rd line it starts the remaining 20 with 1/13 through
10/10 and then starts over again with 1/11 through 12/24. I really appreciate
your attempt to help.

"Dave Peterson" wrote:

The number format of a cell isn't the deciding factor.

If you can locate one of those cells that doesn't sort, try this in an empty
cell:
=isnumber(x99)
replace x99 with the address of the offending cell.

If it comes back False, then the value isn't a date--it's just text.

Depending on what's in those cells, there may be a quick way to convert
them--but you didn't share any examples of what's in them.

Patlee wrote:

Unfortunately that's not the reason -- all formatting is the same. But
thanks for responding.

"Joel" wrote:

I suspect the last lines are not formated the same as the first lines. One
set of dates is probably text and the other set is microsoft date. Convert
all the dates to the same format.

"Patlee" wrote:

Trying to sort 3 columns (last name-first name-birthday) by birthday. Excel
sorts correctly but only the first 82 rows. It leaves the last 20 rows
unsorted. How can I get it to sort the entire worksheet?

--

Dave Peterson

--

Dave Peterson