Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
JMay JMay is offline

Default Listing in Order

Short example:

In Range A1:B4 enter:

Bob 80
Ted 75
Carol 85
Alice 60

In C1 enter:
=LARGE($B$1:$B$4,ROW(1:1)) ' then copy C1 down to C4

In D1 enter:

=OFFSET($A$1,MATCH(C1,$B$1:$B$4,0)-1,0) ' then copy D1 down to D4.

If you insert or delete rows the Column C formula is going to HICK-UP as
the Row(2:2) will change to #REF! or the like -- The ROW(#:#) always need
to stay in the sequesnce (from beginning to end) as Row(1:1) sequentially to
Row(50:50), say.

Hope this helps,

Jim May

"emarzuq" wrote:

I have two columns The first has names of individuals the next has a list of
grades, is it possible for me to be able to make a formula in another cell
which will always list the students from the highest grade to the lowest
grade.

This is not a sort problem, because I want it to be able to do this
calculation when I change the grades around for example.

Thanks for your help in advance