Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
JLatham JLatham is offline

Default Excel 2007 Speed Problem

I think the bottom line that's probably becoming a not too well kept secret
is that there are problems of varying levels of severity with the new
graphics engine used in the entire line of Office 2007 apps. I've seen
almost exactly the same thing you have; exactly the same thing in general
terms: work with charts in 2007, expect major slowdowns - even on faster
machines than you are running earlier versions of Excel on doing the same
work.

Try all of the recommendations that Nick made. Keep an eye out for Office
2007/Excel 2007 SP1 - but (no inside info here, just gut feeling) I don't
think we're probably going to see that until Thanksgiving (which will give
real meaning to that holiday this year) or later.

"JohnnyG" wrote:

I have upgraded from Excel 2003 to Excel 2007 and am experiencing a
tremendous decrease in speed. The following speed comparisons were done on
the same machinewith the same file containing about 50 columnsx 5000 rows of
data and 7 charts of the data.

Time to select 4 charts:
Excel 2003: 4 seconds
Excel 2007: 57 seconds

Time to copy the 4 selected charts and paste them into Words 2007:
Excel 2003: 18 seconds
Excel 2007: 60 seconds

Finally, when saving the Word file in .doc format with the same graphs
pasted from the same excel file, here are the file sizes:
Graphs from Excel 2003: 187K
Graphs from Excel 2007: 235k

Is there any way to speed up Excel 2007? And why are the Word files larger?
This is a problem because we zip up a number of word files and send them via
email - the same files with graphs from Excel 2007 are now too large to send
in one email.

Thanks,
John