Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
The Stumper The Stumper is offline

Default date not recognized

Thank you Peo, in the cell I want to express the day (Monday) I have entered
=TEXT(K32,"dddd") in the cell K32 I have entered ='21'!A$10 which refers to
another worksheet in which I copy info from a Word doc and A10 equals 5/18/07
and the result in the =TEXT(K32,"dddd") comes out "5/18/07". The unusaul
thing is if I go to the A10 cell and retype the contents manually (not paste
them) the formulas all work!?

"Peo Sjoblom" wrote:

It's because the value in K32 is text and WEEKDAY needs a number,
it's from the WORD form that you get it as text, if you type in 05-21-07
(regardless of a zero) in K32 formatted as date you will get a value
However the WEEKDAY is not necessary, you should use

=TEXT(K32,"dddd")

or just

=K32

and format the cell as dddd

WEEKDAY works by pure coincidence in this case, it's because 01-01-1900 was
a SUNDAY and WEEKDAY returns 1 for Sunday. If it had
been on a Monday you would have gotten the wrong weekday.

So what happens WEEKDAY converts the date in K32 to

01/01/1900
01/02/1900
01/03/1900
and so on until
01/07/1900

It's wrong thinking but it works by a coincidence

Nevertheless you get an error because the date is seen as text
and that is not the fault of the zero, it's WORD

Peo Sjoblom

"The Stumper" wrote in message
I think it more to do with the date format of the cell it is translating.
If
the copy info reads 05-21-07 it apparently doesn't see it a date because
of
the "0" in 05, but when I type it in the 0 is automatically dropped.
Seems
like a glitch in the program, becasue the formula otherwise works fine.

"Tevuna" wrote:

I'm not telling you to omit the "dddd", but to omit WEEKDAY.
TRIM removes spaces. For complete syntax check your help manu.