Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Rick Rothstein \(MVP - VB\) Rick Rothstein \(MVP - VB\) is offline

Default Adding a number to a letter of the alphabet to get a letter

Another option:

=SUBSTITUTE(ADDRESS(1,COLUMN(INDIRECT(A1&"1"))+B1, 4),1,"")

Okay, I missed the direct addition... I see I didn't need the OFFSET
function call. I'll have to remember that... thanks for posting it.

I was going to remark on how much shorter your formula was than mine, but
once I removed the OFFSET function, I beat you by a couple of
characters.<g

=LEFT(ADDRESS(1,B1+COLUMN(INDIRECT(A1&"1")),4),LEN (A1))

Rick

Hey, this should have been the other way round. Me saying, that my
formula only has 4 function calls, and you answering: "Yes, but my
formula contains fewer characters!" <bg

Damn! Your formula beat mine in minimum keystroke count also... yours takes
37 keystrokes (including the TAB key presses to select the function from the
popup list) whereas mine requires 41 keystrokes.<g

Rick