Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Ryan[_2_] Ryan[_2_] is offline

Default Find Column Number via Lookup

Hi All,

I appreciate your replies. I realize that the number of cells vs days
in the year + weekly & monthly totals are more than the allotted
amount in excel. We only do business certain months of the year, so
it's less than A:HL (thank goodness!). Also, it's column number 28
due to the range I selected; I have a some labels in the first few
columns of the spreadsheet which throws off my lookup if I select
them.

I figured out how to search for the text of the Month label (April 07,
May 07, etc).

My only outstanding question is:

I choose a Month from my drop-down list (Validation) & I have a
VLOOKUP looking up the month from the validation list & pulling the
value from the selected column in a VLOOKUP (formula below). However,
I want to show "previous month", "current month" and "ytd" -- Current
Month & YTD are working fine, but I am having trouble directing the
VLOOKUP to find "May 07" and then pull the value in column 2, -1 row.

This is my current formula:
=VLOOKUP(CONCATENATE($A17,C$16),'2007'!$B:$HL,(VLO OKUP($B$4,$BJ:$BK,
2,FALSE)),FALSE)

The part that I'm confused about, is the 2nd VLOOKUP in the formula.
The '2' returns the column numbers for the results I want, and this
works wonderfully for current & ytd numbers. How do I direct the '2'
to actually pull from column 2 & -1 row?

Thanks again for all of your help -- I'm a beginner & am trying to
teach myself! :)

Thanks,
Ryan