Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Marvin P. Winterbottom Marvin P. Winterbottom is offline

Default Importing Text files to Excel 2007

from the command prompt (file/run/cmd)
cd\
dir /s files.txt
it will make a text file called files.txt with all files on the drive.
you can do dir/? to get different options for the dir command

"Quco" wrote:

I'm being asked to test 5% of the files in a hard drive given to us.
There are 1620 files, so I need to test 81 randomnly choosen files.

I open the hard drive using Windows Explorer and sort them by Name.

I need to know if we can create a text file of the contents of the hard
drive, so that I can import it in Excel 2007 and place checkmarks on an
adjacent column to keep track of what files I'm testing. How do I do that? It
is possible? How?