Posted to microsoft.public.excel,microsoft.public.excel.misc,microsoft.public.excel.newusers,microsoft.public.excel.programming,microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Dana DeLouis Dana DeLouis is offline

Default Maximunm # of Spreadsheets in any Workbook

Just a silly addition.
I haven't done this is years, but out of educational curiosity only, and
with Excel 2007...
From vba, and with immediate window displayed...

Sub HowManyWorksheets()
Do
Worksheets.Add
Debug.Print Worksheets.Count
Loop
End Sub

I keep getting 5,448. (Before crashing I might add!!)
Well, that's interesting to me! That's the same number I had around Excel
97+ era.
However, I now have 2 Gb of memory. However, the sheets are bigger now
also.
Hmm. That number seems very strange to me. I am sure it is just a
coincidence that it is close to array limit 5461. ??

Someone mentioned years back that they broke the 5,400 limit by running the
macro from the worksheet using Tools | Macro Menu. Once, and only once, I
too broke the 5,400 limit by doing the same thing. However,...I never did
get that feat to repeat.

I lost my notes, but I think the stack calls were limited to just over 2,000
also.
Looks like they are more now.

Option Explicit
Dim k

Sub Test()
k = k + 1
Debug.Print k
Call Test
End Sub

I run out of Stack now at 5,571.

Useless info I know. I was just curious with Excel 2007. :~

--
Dana DeLouis
Windows XP & reluctantly using Excel 2007

"Niek Otten" wrote in message
Hi John,

All these and similar limits can always be found in HelpSpecifications

--
Kind regards,

Niek Otten
Microsoft MVP - Excel