Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Dave Peterson Dave Peterson is offline

Default Formula will not work

Put the formulas on the April worksheet, but don't use a cell in column B.

If =count(B:B) returns 0, then you don't have any numbers in column B.

If =counta(B:B) returns 0, then you don't have anything in that column.

Indymanny wrote:

Thanks, Dave for the reply. Unfortunately, nothing is working as of yet. I've
double checked the names are correct ("four winds", etc.), made sure all of
column B on the April document are Numbers, and tried your "count" formula -
which when I did the first one, it gave me an error that it was trying to do
a "circular reference", and the second one (counta) just gave me a "0".
Should I be checking something else on the April sheet?

"Dave Peterson" wrote:

Maybe "four winds" doesn't match any cell in April's column A?

Maybe the values in column B of that worksheet aren't numbers--maybe they just
look like numbers (text masquerading as numbers).

If you put these in a couple of empty cells in the April worksheet
=count(B:B)
=counta(B:B)
do they match?

The first counts numbers. The second counts non-empty cells.

Indymanny wrote:

I have a workbook set up which has year-to-date running totals.
The report is pulling the previous months numbers from different sheets that
I have added to the end of the workbook once the month is complete. The
formula I have been using,

=SUMIF('Int Mar 07'!A:A,"four winds",'Int Mar 07'!B:B)

has worked fine until this month. When I change the formula to reflect April
(the latest month), all I get are "0"'s. When I tested the formula to pull
from different sheets, still within the workbook, it computes fine. Could
there be something corrupt with the April sheet I just added?

I'm relatively new to Excel so any information would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Indymanny

--

Dave Peterson