Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
AKphidelt AKphidelt is offline

Default Vlookup and Hlookup equation

It's saying, if B4 is Male/Female, and if E4 has more then 0 Push Ups, then
VLOOKUP the push up number in the PUDATA which is probably the data on the
Push-Up sheet.

So then, if the person is a male, look up the Age of the person, in the
Push-Up sheet (The PUAGE name is probably set up using Range (B91:T92) of the
Push Up sheet).

So this HLOOKUP returns the Column number for the Vlookup of the number of
Push ups the person does.

So for F4 as the example... it goes in this order...

1) Is the person a Male or Female? TRUE, so...
2) Did the person do more then 0 Push Ups? TRUE, so...
3) VLOOKUP 15 (# of Push ups), using the PUDATA Array (most likely the Push
Ups Sheet). So find the #15 in column A... then
4) Is the person Male or Female? Male, so...
5) HLOOKUP the persons Age, go down to the PUAGE Array (Bottom of Push Ups)
and
6) Find the persons age and give the value... in this case the value is 18
7) So in the end it looks like, since the person is a male and did more then
0 push ups, look up the number of Push Ups and go over 18 columns, and the
score should be 57.

If the person were female it would do the exact same thing except take a
value that is 1 more then the males value, as in it would use column 19
instead of column 18. I could give more detail but the web site won't let me
enter the formula or view the names of the ranges... like Im just guessing
what the PUAGE range is.

=IF(B4"A",(IF(E40,VLOOKUP(E4,PUDATA,(IF(B4="M",( HLOOKUP(C4,PUAGE,2)),
(HLOOKUP(C4,PUAGE,2)+1)))),0))," ")

It is taken from cell F4 on the "Input Data" worksheet located at this
http://www.armystudyguide.com/conten...rd-in-mass.xls

I know how to write Vlookups and this worksheet works fine. I am just
curious to know how the combination of Vlookup and Hlookup works in
case I need to modify some of the scoring parameters in the future.
Thank you in advance for your help.