Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
T. Valko T. Valko is offline

Default Variable Lookup/Double Lookup

I'm trying to understand how you get column 57.

Your range - B:BA doesn't have 57 columns. It has 52

Do you have column headers that are the names of the months?

If so, you can use a MATCH function to calculate the column number for you:

=VLOOKUP($A14&C$13,'2007'!$B:IV,MATCH("May",B1:IV1 ,0),0)

Or, use a cell to hold the month name:

A1 = May

=VLOOKUP($A14&C$13,'2007'!$B:IV,MATCH(A1,B1:IV1,0) ,0)

Biff

"Ryan" wrote in message
oups.com...
I have a spreadsheet that I use VLookup to find a Person's scores
based on Month. However, I have to change the reference number in the
VLookup manually in order to get my results.

I use column number 28 for April, column number 57 for May. I was
using a very basic formula that got me by using IF/Vlookup for April
alone, but now that it's May, I had to change the column number
manually.

I tried this formula, but it seems that you can't nest a Vlookup
inside a Vlookup! :)

=VLOOKUP(CONCATENATE($A14,C$13),'2007'!$B:$AC,(VLO OKUP(E2,AZ:BA,
57,FALSE)),FALSE)

Help would be greatly appreciated!! :) Thanks for your time & efforts.