Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Fred[_2_] Fred[_2_] is offline

Default Chart help - cannot display all data

"Jon Peltier" wrote in message
If you have several values each day, but they are measured between 9:00
and 9:03, then when multiple days are included, the spread between 4
measurements in 3 minutes will be overwhelmed by the intervening 23 hours
and 57 minutes. Follow Bernard's suggestion (i.e., format your column D in
date + time format, and insert it before the BP measurements), then make
your chart; but where Bernard says XY chart, instead make a Line chart.
Then go to Chart menu Chart Options Axes tab, and under Category (X)
Axis, select Category.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
http://PeltierTech.com

Thank you Jon for your prompt reply.

As per my reply to Bernard you will see that I have now solved this problem.

You are, of course, completely correct in saying that such small time
increments will be swamped. That was one of the reasons for my post - the
vain hope that one of you gurus had managed the impossible and found a way
of getting all this data onto a sheet of A4 paper!

I have resorted to using the Scatter chart in favour of the Line chart
because, over the last year, my GP has always visualised a trend line
through the middle of my Line chart and totally ignored the fact that the
upper and lower data limits are way outside spec! Now, when 6 of the 16
daily points are clearly above her "line", she cannot possibly deny the
tablets aren't working.

Surprisingly, I have found that a year's Scatter chart with this density of
data displays remarkably well when using 5pts sized data markers. I find
that it is more easily understood by a lay person (I am not referring to my
GP) because they can read off the actual numbers instead of looking at a
meaningless (to them) line zooming up and down across the page. It is also
easier for me to demonstrate an exact value at any point on the chart.

Thanks again for your expert help on these groups.

Fred