Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Fritz Fritz is offline

Default Excel 2007 crashes after viewing property sheet in Data Connec

Thank you for trying to help with this. The problem does not prevent me from
using the program, but the behavior is puzzling. Even if this is a problem
with my system, the program whould be robust enough not to crash without
giving an error report. I may try reinstalling the Office 2007 suite and
sending a comment about the problem to Microsoft.
--
Fritz Jones

"Roger Govier" wrote:

Hi

Just opened three separate connections to the same workbook, accessed
Parties from the open dialogue as you said, closed dialogue, no
problems.
I think it must be a problem with your system.
I regret, I cannot think what might be causing the problem.

--
Regards

Roger Govier

"Fritz" wrote in message
The wizard and refresh functions work fine with text files with either
the
.csv or .txt extensions. The problem occurs in the following scenario:

1. Open a worksheet in Excel 2007 with external connections to one or
more
text files with either a .csv or .txt extension.

2. Open the Workbooks Connections dialog box by selecting the
Connections
button on the Data Ribbon.

3. Select a connection to an external text file and then select the
Properties button.

4. Close the resulting Properties dialog box by selecting OK.

5. On my system Excel will now crash.

Perhaps you or someone else could try duplicating this scenario. If
Excel
does not crash then there is a problem with my system or with version
of the
program installed on my computer.

--
Fritz Jones

"Roger Govier" wrote:

Hi

I have not experienced any problems connecting to an external text
file
with XL2007.
Maybe try renaming .csv to .txt, then telling the wizard that comma
is
the separator will get around your problem.

--
Regards

Roger Govier

"Fritz" wrote in message
I have been using Excel 2007 to import comma delimited text (csv)
files
stored on my local hard disk into my personal finance spreadsheet.
The
DataGet External DataFrom Text wizard works fine and have had no
trouble
using the Refresh function. The problem comes from accessing a
Connection
Properties Box from the DataConnections Box. If I select OK after
viewing
the Properties Box, Excel crashes, restarts, and offers to let me
continue
working on a repaired worksheet. This behavior occurs even when no
changes
are made in the Properties Box. If I select Cancel, Excel exits the
Properties Box normally. This behavior also occurs in a clean
workbook
with
no data other than an imported text file.

This behavior is not a fatal flaw since there are other ways to
access
and
change the property data, however, such behavior is not acceptable
in
Microsoft Product which has been around for about 20 years. Is this
bug in
a new release of the product or a problem with the installation on
my
computer? I am using Office 2007 Home and Student Trial Edition on
WinXP
Pro SP2 system. To preserve file portability I am opening and
saving
worksheets in the .xls format using the Excel 2007 compatibility
mode.

Any comments on this behavior?

--
Fritz Jones