Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Terry Pinnell Terry Pinnell is offline

Default Pasting a set of URLs?

Terry Pinnell wrote:

I suspect I'm making heavy weather of this, so would appreciate advice
please.

I have a set of standard URLs in my text editor, like
http://www.xyz.com
http://www.abc.com/123.htm
etc

I paste them into a new Excel 2000 column. But how can I quickly get
them all to become proper links, so that a click will open that
address in my browser please?

So far, the only way I can do it is by using Insert Hyperlink
(Ctrl+k) on each cell, and then copy/pasting the Text to Display into
the address box. Tedious with a large number to do.

I though I'd solved it by doing the first one that way and then using
the Format Painter on all the others. That turned them all promisingly
blue and underlined - but they had not received the magic clickability
attribute!

Failing any clever method, I suppose a repetitive macro might be the
way to go, if I can remember how to make them ;-)

I thought I'd have a crack at the macro approach anyway meanwhile, but
hit a snag. Although I used a Copy (and then a Paste) while recording,
the macro insists on using the same original *contents* every time I
use it on a cell. IOW, it recorded the very first address and that's
obviously now getting pasted every time I use it, even though it
should be copying new contents.

Is there some trick to getting it to generate a simple copy (Ctrl+c)
'operation', without the specific contents please?

--
Terry, West Sussex, UK

--
Terry, West Sussex, UK