Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
Rab Rab is offline

Default monthly separation tick marks on x-axis

Barb, Kelly

Thanks. This method at first appears a bit cumbersome but is actually very
straight forward. Problem solved.

But...after however many versions of excel, why does it still fail to be
able to perform so many desirable functions in a simple way via the chart
wizzard? If I want to generate charts with different chart types for
different series, multiple y-axes etc it seems that there are a lot of
counter-intuitive things going on. Please sort it out microsoft!

Thanks again all for the useful advice.

Rab

"Kelly O'Day" wrote:

Rab:

I use custom axis to get my time series charts to look the way I want. This
"how-to" shows you the overall approach to custom axes.

http://processtrends.com/pg_charts_custom_axis.htm

My step chart example shows how to center the label name in the X axis tick
mark gap. http://processtrends.com/pg_charts_d...xis_series.htm

Once you master custom axes, you'll find a lot of it easy to spruce up your
XY charts.

Kelly

http://processtrends.com

"Barb Reinhardt" wrote in message
Sure there is. What I'd do is create a series like this:

X Y
A1: 1/1/2007 0 <~~~or whatever your minimum value is for the chart
A2: =date(year(a1),month(A1)+1,day(a1)) 0

COPY DOWN

Create another series for your chart using these values.
Put Y error bars on the series at the size you need.

Use something like Rob Bovey's XYChart Labeler (www.appspro.com) to put
labels on this series. You labels could be the X part of your series.

Change the series marker to none.

It's kludgy, but it works.

"Rab" wrote:

I'm plotting a number of data series on an x-y scatter chart. Values are
recorded daily over an 18 month period and are plotted against time on
the
x-axis. To make the graph look neat I want to place tick marks at
monthly
intervals at the first of each month. Because the number of days in the
month varies it is not possible to select an appropriate major unit in
the
format axis box. As a result, if I select for example 31 as the major
unit
then the monthly tick marks progressively move to a later date in the
month -
starting from 01 August 05 and by March 07 my tick mark is placed at the
13th. Is there anyway to overcome this? Thanks.