Arvi Laanemets

Hi

Define a dynamic range p.e. Nationality, as:
=OFFSET(Sheet1!$A$2,,,COUNTIF(Sheet1!$A:$A,"<")-1,1)

(I assume in A1 is column header, so actual data start from A2)

Create another table on another or on same (as in my example) sheet, p.e.
F1="Nationality";
G1="Number";
F2:F4 enter "french", "english" and "spanish";
Into G2 enter the formula
=COUNTIF(Nationality;F2)
and copy it to range G2:G4;
Create your pie chart based on this new table.

Arvi Laanemets

"danielle" wrote in message
I'm trying to make a pie chart using words as the information to compute
rather than numbers - is this possible to do? like for example if i wanted
calculate the percentage of french students, spanish students, and english
students in a class of 30, and i set up my column like this:

STUDENT'S NATIONALITY
french
french
english
spanish
english
spanish
spanish
spanish
french

would it be possible to have excel make a pie chart that shows the
proportion of french to english to spanish students in the class? or do i
have
to set up my information differently?

-danielle