Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Caribbrz Caribbrz is offline

Default Average less MIN formula help needed

JE, I did use your solution. Then when I re-read the task, it specifically
said to use the MIN, SUM, and COUNT to get your answer. I would have much
rather used your solution....I actaully understood it more. I had the other
answer on my work sheet for 3 hours trying to firgure out what I was doing
wrong beucase I was not getting the correct answer...(I was missing the -1 at
the end of my formula) But, with my luck, I would have gotten docked for
using a formula that had not yet been taught.

And I also agree, I should have explained more in my question. This was my
first time using this board and realized after the fact that I should have
included my formula so someone could explain what I was doing wrong. That
was my bad.

Anyway, thank you all for your help. Now, back to the drawing board to try
and figure out two more fomulas. I might be back asking for help, again.

Thanks again!

"JE McGimpsey" wrote:

I might agree if the formula I provided was a shortcut (but then, I
don't use mottos...).

I don't have any problem with teaching the basics. I don't have a
problem with demonstrating that there are multiple solutions for any
particular problem in XL.

I DO, however, have a problem with deliberately rejecting efficient
solutions using simple built-in functions in favor of less efficient
ones simply because they don't fit into someone's definition of "basic".
When I teach, I *reward* alternative solutions, not reject them.

But de gustibus non disputandum est...

In article ,
"MartinW" wrote:

Get the basics right first and then teach the shortcuts is my motto.