Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
L.Chua[_2_] L.Chua[_2_] is offline

Default Way to average a group of results from using LOOKUP?

Thanks guru!

"David Billigmeier" wrote:

It's because the values returned by the lookup function are formatted as
text. To fix, you can do a couple things:

Add a double negative (--) to the beginning of each lookup function, this
will force Excel to return the results formatted as a number (Note: Simply
doing a <Format<Cells<Number will NOT work)

=--LOOKUP(...)

You can also chage it at the source by forcing Excel to treat your lookup
range numerically. To do this:

Copy a blank cell
Select your range
<Edit<Paste Special...
Select "Values" and "Add"
Click OK

Dave

"L.Chua" wrote:

I have a table of scores achieved as a result of using the LOOKUP function
(typical % converted to score type of scenario). I am trying to average (say
10) resulting scores but am running into problems where I constantly receive
the #div/0 error or receive a 0. I can't see where I'm dividing by 0.

Any thoughts on how to work around this?

Thanks!