Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Dreamstar_1961 Dreamstar_1961 is offline

Default number of items fit into item

that worked, thnkyou

"andy62" wrote:

If I understand correctly, you're saying the formula works but you want it to
be more flexible in case the part might fit more efficiently with a different
orientation. To accomplish this, I would use the same formula as before but
with two changes:
- Check each of the six possible configurations instead of just one
- Use the MAX function to find which of the six configurations is the best

Here's what I mean:

=MAX(INT(A2/A3)*INT(B2/B3)*INT(C2/C3),INT(A2/A3)*INT(B2/C3)*INT(C2/B3),INT(A2/B3)*INT(B2/A3)*INT(C2/C3),etc.)

Let me know if we've got it.

"Dreamstar_1961" wrote:

that worked but is there a way to put it in that test all ways, I can't be
sure that when the part is Measured that it will be Measured in relation to
the location, this is for a work sheet for a warehouse work group where there
are 12 locations, all different sizes, the size will be put on one place and
it's to test to see which location will be best for the location, I looked at
the chitest to see if that would work

Let me know if this works:

=INT(A2/A3)*INT(B2/B3)*INT(C2/C3)

Where the numerators are the width/height/depth of the available space
("Dimension" from your first note) and the denominators are for the given
part/item.

"Dreamstar_1961" wrote:

what I'm trying to get is if item is say 28*13*14 and the value of the item
it's to go into is 29*14*15 then what will fit is 1, but if the item is 1*1*1
then the answer is 1000's what I'm after is the formula to work out the
number, this is being used for a fit size test.

"andy62" wrote:

Can you provide an example of what you mean? Include some data, and point
out what is making it so tricky.

"Dreamstar_1961" wrote:

tryed that but dos't seem to be working, what this is for is a fit size, that
is we have a number of location of a given size, I need a formula that when
we put the size of the part in it will show how many will fit in a given
location

"andy62" wrote:

Seems like you would just multiply to compute the respective volumes, and
then divide. So what's the catch?

"Dreamstar_1961" wrote:

can any one think of a formula to find out how many items will fit in to a
given Dimension, that is I have a item that is so many width*height*depth
into a location of width*height*depth
ex 10*10*10 into a item of 10*10*10 = 1