Posted to microsoft.public.excel,microsoft.public.excel.misc,microsoft.public.excel.newusers,microsoft.public.excel.programming,microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Dave Peterson Dave Peterson is offline

Default Count

If those empty cells are really empty, then you could use:

=counta(a2:a100) to count the non-empty cells.

Cells with Text, Numbers, and even formulas that evaluate to "" will be counted.

JoJo wrote:

Folks:

I have a single column of information. Only SOME of the cells within this
column contain a string of alphabetic characters.
Some cells are empty. For example:

Column A
ABC

ZEP

POW
ZAP

* What Excel command would allow me to count the # of cells that actually
contain alphabetic information within a certain range like A2:A100

Thanks,
John.

--

Dave Peterson