Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Arvi Laanemets Arvi Laanemets is offline

Default Use a calculated value as a worksheet reference

Hi

In original post you did say you want to get data from another sheet - now
it looks like you want to get them from another workbook! INDIRECT works
with source in another workbook only when this source workbook is open too.

--
Arvi Laanemets
( My real mail address: arvi.laanemets<attarkon.ee )

"rachel" wrote in message
Hello

Thank you for your post, I had if functions to convert to text to get
round
that one, I tried using the INDIRECT function with no joy, not one I was
aware of so I've learned something but may have made a mistake!

Thought if I were more specific I'd get more help, never done this
'discussion group' thing before! Basically, I have a workbook with
multiple
sheets containing monthly summaries, I need to be able to use the
calculations within these sheets to provide information for another
workbook,
I can get round the problem with nested if functions but as some of the
formulas are already nested to the hilt I wondered if there were a simpler
way to reference the appropriate cells. I have copied the simplest formula
below to better demonstrate what I mean.
=COUNTIF('V:\Folder\Sub Folder\[Team Issues
Log.xls]Sheet1'!$F$2:$F$500,"Closed")

Where I need the reference Sheet1 to be the result of a formula

Any ideas?
--
Many Thanks
Rachel

"David Biddulph" wrote:

Remember that MONTH() will give the number 5. If you want "May" you may
prefer =TEXT(Serial_Number,"mmmm").

To use the result in your reference, I assume you realise that you'll
need
the INDIRECT() function.
--
David Biddulph

"rachel" wrote in message
I want to use the value of the MONTH function within a formula to refer
sheet in another workbook eg ='May'! where the reference May comes from
the
result of =MONTH(Serial_Number)

Any ideas please

--