Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
Del Cotter Del Cotter is offline

Default Re-imagining charting software (was Axis with 2 labels)

On Wed, 2 May 2007, in microsoft.public.excel.charting,
Del Cotter said:
as named by S. S. Stevens in the 1940s.

"Nominal" is like Excel's "Category"

"Ordinal" is like Excel's "Time-scale"

"Interval" is the scale type Excel calls "Category" when the chart type
is Scatter.

Oh, and I forgot to note that in Excel today, the Y axis is always an
interval scale; nominal and ordinal are not offered at all. Which leads
to all those kludges involving horizontal bar chart combinations or
custom-labelled dummy series, to provide labels up the left side. In my
dream Turbo Excel Charts, the X axis would offer N, O, and I types, *and
so would the Y*.

P.S. But like I said, in my dream software there would be no axes
really, in the sense of there being something different from data
series.

P.P.S. Any minute now, some smart alec is going to recommend R :-)

--
Del Cotter