Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
Kelly O'Day Kelly O'Day is offline

Default Axis with 2 labels

BillO:

Del's arbitrary axis suggestion is a good one. Here a link to my how-to
tutorial on custom axes.
http://processtrends.com/pg_charts_custom_axis.htm.

I have a two label y axis example at this link.
http://processtrends.com/toc_chart_d..._Axis_ Labels

While it takes a little patience to master custom axes, once you do you can
start making Excel do things you never thought possible.

Kelly

http://processtrends.com

"Del Cotter" wrote in message
On Tue, 1 May 2007, in microsoft.public.excel.charting,
BillO said:
I am doing a line chart and would like two labels for the x axis
accompanying the same data point. The problem I am having is the
formatting
of the labels. I would like to fit them in both with the same orientation
(vertical). But only one label goes vertical when I do this. There is a
column for one label (date), and another for ID (which is a #).

Yes, that's a problem with having two labels on the X axis.

Are you prepared to go radical and abandon the Microsoft-provided axis
facility? If so, you can create your own customised X axis with all the
properties you want, by creating a data series, labelling it, and
formatting it to look like an axis. For two labels you either want a
specially-formatted label, or more likely two series.

Have a look at the "Arbitrary axis" examples on Jon Peltier's "Chart Axes
and Axis Tricks" page:

http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/axes.html#ArbAxis

Tushar Mehta's "Flexible log scale" tutorial is about Y axes, but the
principles are the same, and it may help you if you get stuck.

http://www.tushar-mehta.com/excel/ne...ble_log_scale/

--
Del Cotter
NB Personal replies to this post will send email to