Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Gord Dibben Gord Dibben is offline

Default look up in work spreadsheet

Check out VLOOKUP function.

Better yet.................

See Debra Dalgleish's site for more on VLOOKUP and Data
Validation lists for entering the choices.

http://www.contextures.on.ca/xlFunctions02.html

Note the section on using DV lists from another worksheet by naming the list.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Sat, 28 Apr 2007 10:24:02 -0700, whohasmynameuk
wrote:

Hi guys
Wonder if you can help. I work in a returns section at work and we have to
list all returns on a spreadsheet. There are various items we have to input
but the most important is the material code, description and value. What we
like to do is set up a look up that does these 3 items automatically.

So I would need to manually type in the material code in colonm I the
description would then pop up in J. I would also need the price to pop up in
M but times by column K

I have included an example on the excel 2003 spreadsheet of what we want.

http://www.whalford.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/Return.xls

Some days we only get a couple of returns but some days we get hundreds so
columns I, M would have to run down the sheet. I would imagine I could just
enter the formula and drag it down.

There is a data sheet were the look up would get the info although because
we are going to use this data sheet and lookup on several similar spreadsheet
we were going to keep the data on a central spreadsheet as new products are
always added. Does this sound possible? If not we would keep the data in each
spreadsheet.