Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
whynot0611 whynot0611 is offline

Default "Other" category in Excel

Thanks a lot!
What formula would you use to define the top 10 criteria within the base
data set? Let's say I only have 2 columns. Column A contains target
languages, and column be an amount in USD.
Target Language Spend
French $1,000
Italian $,1500
Italian $10,000
Italian $5,000
French $1,000

Thanks again!

"bj" wrote:

not within the pivot table, but in your data set use a helper column
=if(top-ten-crteria, language-cell,"Other")
use this in your pivot table

"whynot0611" wrote:

I work for a translation company and work a lot in pivot tables to display
our top spend by target language (German, French, etc.). I would like to use
a pivot table that displays my top 10 languages with an "OTHER LANGUAGES"
category with the spend for all the remaining languages. If I filter the top
10 languages in the pivot table, the others disappear completely from the
report. So I have one unfiltered pivot table, and another table that
references the 1st with an "OTHER LANGUAGES" category that I created
manually. But is there any way to create an "OTHER" category automatically
within the pivot table?