Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Pete_UK Pete_UK is offline

Default Excel 2002: Need to enter+ in front of the numbers to deduct

When you press the ENTER key Excel (or Quattro) tries to make sense of
what you have typed in. If you just type 16-7 into a cell in Excel
this will be converted to 16th July 2007 (in the UK) as Excel will
deduce that this is a date, whereas in Quattro it will reason that as
this contains a minus operator then you want to perform an operation
and will assume that you meant +16-7 (or =16-7 in Excel-speak). They
have just been programmed in different ways.

Hope this helps.

Pete

On Apr 27, 1:50 pm, Mr. Low wrote:
Hello David,

Thanks for your explanation. Now I undertand better.

Regarding the Quattro Pro Spreadsheet, what I know is that when the number
in a cell is subtrated by another number after pressing enter, the + sign
automatically appears in front of the fiist number.

Before entering the second number, there is no plus sign. I do not know how
it works as I know very little about computer programming.

Anyway, thanks for your reply.

Kind Regards

Low

--
A36B58K641

"David Biddulph" wrote:
In Excel, the way to start a formula is with the = sign, hence =1200-150,
but the use of a + instead of = is there to provide compatibility with
Lotus's implementation. Also, don't forget that you don't need to use f2;
you can just select the cell and type in the formula bar.

You're saying that Quattro Pro doesn't need a + sign to start the equation;
how in Quattro Pro do you distinguish an equation to give the answer
1200-150 as distinct from the entry of a text string 1200-150?
--
David Biddulph

"Mr. Low" wrote in message
Dear Sir,

I noticed that for Excel 2002, If I need to add or deduct from 0a number
in
a cell after F2 function, the user need to add + in front of the number
before computation could take effect.

For example in cel A2 we have 1200. If I need to deduct 150 from it inside
that cell,
I usually need to strike F2, follw by + before the numberr 1200 move the
cursor forward and enter -150 and strike enter to get the answer.

In Corel Quattro Pro Spreadsheet + sign is not required for a cell to add
or
deduct
Thus it is more convenient and time saving.

May I know if there a way to set the Excel 2002 worksheet in such a way
that, + sign is not necesary ?

Thanks

Low
--