Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Joe Joe is offline

Default Unwanted single quote displayed in Formula bar

I have checked the transition tab and "Transition navigation keys" are
unchecked.
Under "Sheet options" Transition formula evaluation and "formula entry" are
also unchecked.

"BoniM" wrote:

Tools, options, transition tab, transition navigation keys is apparently
turned on. This is placing a Lotus alignment code in the cell.
' (apostrophe) Left align data in the cell
The alignment codes display only in the formula bar - not in the cell.

"Joe" wrote:

Cell A5 contains the text word TEST

Cell C5 contains the formula =IF(MID(A5,LEN(A5),1)="q",A5&"ue","")

The result is a "blank" or a "" type of cell content since the result is
FALSE.

Now if I select this cell and copy it and then PASTE/Special into the same
C5 position I get a single quote ' to appear on the formula bar but not in
the cell when C5 is selected.
Placing the formula = code(C5) into cell D5 gives #VALUE!
Does anyone have an explanation as to what might be going on here?