Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Fred Smith Fred Smith is offline

Default Please Help, Pay Back time?

OK. Say you have the following:

A1: The amount the solar panel costs
A2: The amount they currently pay in electricity every year
A3: Inflation rate (4%)

You want to know how long it will take for payments of $A2 compounded at A3% to
equal A1. If so, use:

=nper(a3,a2,0,-a1)

Fred

"Eric" wrote in message
Sorry about all the confusion, I'll try it again.

If there is a 4% increase each year over the previous year, how many years
it will take until the sum of the years will equal A1

The values I will input are "initial year cost" and A1

I am looking to calculate the value of each year (the first year being user
defined) and then add all the years together until they equal the value in
A1. The Returned value should be something like 8.2 years.

Thank You for your help, patience and expertise,

Eric

"Fred Smith" wrote:

Eric, you need to define your problem much better. Barb gave you an excellent
response based on your first request. Also, you need to understand future
value
better, it's "Amount*(1.04^n)", not "Year1^(1.04*n)".

So, it's over to you. Define your problem, preferably with an example which
shows which result you want. You will get an answer.

Fred

"Eric" wrote in message
I can't make sense of what you wrote.
Also, I need to make sure that the calculated value is the sum of each year
including interest. This should be calculated by adding year1 + year2 +
year3
etc
year2 and up should be calculated by =Year1^(1.04*n) where n = the year#

"Barb Reinhardt" wrote:

It should make no difference what the initial year is (I think)

THis is your equation

Initial Value * 1.04^n = 2* Initial Year

Solve for n (which is the # of hears

1.04^N = 2
n log 1.04 = log 2
n = log 2/log 1.04
N = 17.67 years.

If the interest rate changes, your result will change.

HTH,
Barb Reinhardt

"Eric" wrote:

Hello everyone,

I am trying to create a forumla to show pay back time.

If there is a 4% increase each year over the previous year, how many
years
it will take until the accrued years will equal A1

The values I will input are "initial year" and A1