Greg

I believe the lookup functions are limited to the number of entries (13),
could be wrong on that. I think this might be a bit easier. If column A
contains your "letter" entries, then the following formula will convert the
letter as you specified:

=char(A1) - 64

Since "A" is represented by ANSI code 65 and you want "A" to be equal to 1,
we need to substract 64 from the resulting code.

Make sense?

"Debra Dalgleish" wrote:

You could create a table that lists the letters in one column and their
values in the adjacent column. Then use a VLOOKUP formula in cell B1, to
return the value for the letter in cell A1. There are instructions and
examples he

Dave Cadey wrote:
I wish to be able to key a letter of the alphabet in a cell ant get a number
to appear in another
eg Cell A1 could be A or B or or C with a=2, b=4 or c=7 etc
The answer should appear in say Cell B1 as 2, 4 or 7 according tp whay
letter has been keyed

--
Debra Dalgleish
Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List