Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
James Silverton James Silverton is offline

Default random number generator

Mike wrote on Tue, 24 Apr 2007 23:02:55 -0700:

MM The NORMINV and RAND (and some other) worksheet functions
MM were improved in Excel 2003. For information, browse to
MM www.microsoft.com, and search for "excel rand norminv"
MM (without the quotes), or search for something similar.

MM - Mike
MM http://www.MikeMiddleton.com

Thanks, that's interesting but I'm afraid I'm stuck with Excel
2002 for the moment but fortunately, I usually use random
numbers for interest rather than practical purposes. I use the
Box-Muller method to get numbers from a normal distribution and
that seems OK and quite rapid. Correct me please if I am wrong
but didn't the original poster really want numbers from a
Poisson distribution? I can't see how to implement the
programming eg.
http://www.cedarcreek.umn.edu/tools/...rpoisson.d.pdf in
Excel.

James Silverton