Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
uncreative uncreative is offline

Default Match two columns, return a third piece of data

Thanks for the speedy response, Barb, that worked for me.

"Barb Reinhardt" wrote:

Let's say you want to match A1 with data from Sheet2!A2:B20

=vlookup(A1,Sheet2!$A$2:$B$20,2,false)

You'll get #N/A if there is no match. To test for that, use

ISNA(cellid)

"uncreative" wrote:

I have two tables of data. Each contains the column "item number". All of
the item numbers exist in table one, but only some exist in table two. I
would like to return the matching price from table 2 into a second column in
table 1 (and leave all other non-matching items blank).

I have been scanning the discussion groups and haven't found exactly what I
need yet. I've playing around with IF, VLOOKUP, MATCH, COUNT and INDEX, and
I'm close but not there yet.

Any ideas?

Thanks!