Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Pheasant PluckerŪ Pheasant PluckerŪ is offline

Default VLOOKUP?

Thanks for the quick reply RagDyeR,

How on earth are us ordinary mortals expected to work this out?

Thank God for this newsgroup...;^)

It does exactly what it says on the tin but then you knew that anyway didn't
you? :-)

Kind regards,
-=Glyn=-

"RagDyeR" wrote in message
Add an IF() function containing an error trap to display a zero length
string ( "" ).

=IF(ISNA(VLOOKUP(A1,Sheet4!$A$1:$B$100,2,0)),"",VL OOKUP(A1,Sheet4!$A$1:$B$10
0,2,0))

BTW,
0 and False are equal, as far as the 4th argument are concerned.

--

HTH,

RD

"Pheasant PluckerŪ" wrote in message
Perfect Barb,

Thanks very much for that...

Seems like we both have learnt something ;^)

One last point if I may - when I enter the formula I get the text #N/A
displayed in the cell.

How do I hide this or prevent it from showing so the spreadsheet looks
'clean' please?

Thanks & kind regards,
-=Glyn=-

"Barb Reinhardt" wrote in

message
Let's say you are entering your data in cell A1 and you want B1 to

display
the location name

=VLOOKUP(A1,Sheet4!$A$1:$B$100,2,false)

where your "hidden" sheet is Sheet4 and the data is in A1:B100. Just

make
sure that column A is sorted in ascending order.

"Pheasant PluckerŪ" wrote:

I have a list of customers sites where each site has a unique number.

Against each of the numbers is the name of the site for example;

001 London
002 Oxford
..
..
1340 Birmingham
1341 Manchester
etc. etc.

These are listed in 2 columns on a hidden worksheet in a multi-page
spreadsheet.

What I would like to do is when the site number is input say in cell

A1
on a
different worksheet I need to automagically insert the site name that
matches that particular site number.

So in my example if I input 002 in cell A1 then Oxford appears in B1

I am guessing I need to use VLOOKUP or something but can some kind

soul
point me in the right direction please?

--
Thanks & regards,