Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Eelinla Eelinla is offline

Default average

Let me try adding in a larger chart it might help to see what i need. none of
the formulas so far have worked..i keep getting some kind of error and as im
new to excel its really giving me a hard time. i am using office 2003. What i
need to do is take for example souveniers and get an average and place it in
in a cell of just the average of what the souveniers cost. getting the total
of amount and getting an average isn't the problem but getting the
conditional statement to work for just one type of gear is proving difficult
for me.

C D
Merchandise Gear Amount

20 Adult Cheesehead Souveniers $1,075.20
21 Ear Muffs Gear $2,197.73
22 Large Gym Shorts Apparel $202.30
23 Lg Ski Vest Gear $299.16
24 XXL Gym Shorts Apparel $23.31
25 Medium Gym Shorts Souveniers $37.86
27 Plastic Beer Mug Souveniers $797.12
28 Shot Glass Souveniers $323.20
29 Sm Ski Vest Gear $1,041.66
30 Small Gym Shorts Apparel $243.60
31 Team Picture Souveniers $496.62
32 XL Gym Shorts Apparel $512.80
33 Glass Beer Mug Souveniers $135.63
34 XL Leather Jacket Gear $776.58

average of souveniers cell here @ E36

i need to come up with a way to get $477.60 to show up in cell E36 for
example, which is the average of souveniers. I also need to leave the list
intact.

"Teethless mama" wrote:

=AVERAGE(IF(C2:C100="Souvenirs",D2:D100))
ctrl+shift+enter, not just enter

For XL2007
=AVERAGEIF(C2:C100,"Souvenirs",D2:D100)
just enter

"Eelinla" wrote:

i need to figure the average of some items. Here is the tricky part. I only
need to get the average for some of the items, based on type. for example..if
in column B i have items listed as book tire and car...i only want to get the
average of the books. i know i can get the total number of items and the sum
of the specific items, but i can't seem to get the average of them.

so for example the following in colums B C and D respectively how would i
go about getting the average prices for each if there were multiples of each
type of gear.

merchandise gear amount
ear muffs gear $290.98
team picture souvenirs $56.98