Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Barb Reinhardt Barb Reinhardt is offline

Default How do I substitute text for numbers

You could do a VLOOKUP to get the efficiency andfor each product number.

Let's say you have your first product # in A1 and your second product # in
B1 and your range of Product Number and Efficiencies is in say F1:G10 on
sheet1.

in C1 put the following
=vlookup(A1,Sheet1!$F$1:$G$10,2,false)+vlookup(A2, Sheet1!$F$1:$G$10,2,false)

IF THERE IS no match for either one, the result will be #N/A

"Eric" wrote:

I would like to multiply 2 cells, the first contains a drop down list of
product numbers and the second cell contains a different list of product
numbers.

each product number needs to be replaced with an efficiency and then
multiplied.

For example

=SPR-205 * SPR-3300x

Should be

=189 * .945

I thought of an IF statement but it would be way to long. Right now I have
all the product numbers listed in one Column and the Efficiencies in another
Column.