Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
gls858 gls858 is offline

Default truncating data within a cell for an entire column

Gord Dibben wrote:
gls858

Just for info...............

At third step in Text to Columns you can click on any column you don't want
pasted and select "do not import(skip)"

In this particular case it would eliminate the need for inserting a blank column
to the right.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Wed, 18 Apr 2007 11:10:26 -0500, gls858 wrote:

vlapi wrote:
Hi,
I have a numeric value in a cell that is followed by a space and then three
alphanumeric characters e.g., -24 dBm. How can I delete the alphanumeric
chracters and preserve the nummeric charaters so that I can apply the average
function to the entire column?
Thanks,
vlapi

Try the text to columns feature under the Data menu.
You will need insert a blank column to the right if one doesn't exist.
Its pretty straight forward but if you need more info just post back.

gls858

Good point. I usually keep the data just in case. I can always delete
the column later if need be. Just a habit of mine.

gls858