Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Martin von Gagern Martin von Gagern is offline

Default Excel 2007 very slow to open even the simplest worksheet

Congratulations to looking smart.

Now consider how dumb MS looks in this context! After all, it's their
program, their OS, they should have known how to address this issue. ;-)

Martin

SDP wrote:
Well, I just used your fix and it works great. The only thing I had to
change was #5: "List item XLS" to "List item XLSX"

Thanks for the fix; it's making me look smart around the office.

"Martin von Gagern" wrote:

Hi SDP!

I can only guess, but I would guess this:

Explorer tries to send a DDE message, finds there is no Excel around to
receive it, starts Excel, immediately sends the DDE message again, finds
Excel is not ready to receive it yet, and decides to wait till excel
becomes available. By some mistake, it does not wake up when excel is
ready, I cannot begin to guess why that might be. Therefore it probably
decides to try again after one minute, and succeeds then. Now if you
press the minimize button and Excel actually changes window state,
Explorer might notice this and decide to try again immediately.

Wild guessing, but I'm pretty sure that DDE has its part in this.

Martin

SDP wrote:
I don't know why, but minimizing the Excel window after 2 or 3 seconds always
makes my files open - the window will minimize and bounce back open with your
file immediately. I'd love to know why this works.

"John" wrote:

I have worksheets that only have from 1 to 7 rows and Excel 2007 takes
anywhere from 30 to 60 seconds to open these worksheets. I am running
Windows XP SP2
on a IBM/Lenova with 1 Gig of ram and a 3 Ghz processor.

Is there any setting I can change (or turn off) to speed this muther up?