Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
DaveO[_2_] DaveO[_2_] is offline

Default Multiple instances of a named range, not in the list

I inherited a spreadsheet that I need to clean up. It has a ton of
named ranges with spurious references. I wrote this code so I could
get a look at all the named ranges- it generates a list on a blank
tab:

Sub ShowRanges()
Dim NRange As Name

For Each NRange In Names
ActiveCell.Value = NRange.Name
ActiveCell.Offset(0, 1).Value = "'" & NRange.RefersTo
ActiveCell.Offset(1, 0).Select
Next NRange

End Sub

There are numerous cases where a named range shows up several times,
like this:
Sheet1!cccc
Sheet2!cccc
Sheet3!cccc
cccc
.... all with the same "RefersTo" range.

The named range list does not even show an entry for "cccc". The
RefersTo is
={"'Country'!$E$21:$W$45","'Country'!$E$21:$W$45 "}
but there is no tab labeled Country in the spreadsheet (I checked for
Hidden and VeryHidden tabs). When I delete "cccc" via code, the
entries specific to tabs remain in the list.

What do these entries represent?

Thanks~
Dave O