Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Eric Eric is offline

Default Moving cells in a column

Correction to 2): Enter a 1-2-3 pattern in the first THREE rows of the helper
column. Copy this pattern through your dataset.

"Eric" wrote:

1) Set up a "helper" column.
2) Enter 1 through 3 in the first five rows of the helper column. Copy this
pattern down through your dataset.
3) Sort on the helper column. All your 1's will run together (names),
all your 2's will run together (street address), then your 3's (cities).
These continuous blocks of data are then easily copied/pasted into
separate columns and will appear in their natural order so long as you don't
define a second criteria by which to perform your initial sort.

"CTCrow" wrote:

I have some data that is all in order in a column, like this:

name 1
street 1
city 1
name 2
street 2
city 2
name 3
street 3
city 3

and i like to move the cells to look like this:
(Each in it's own cell for sorting)

name 1 street 1 city 1
name 2 street 2 city 2
name 3 street 3 city 3

without having to drag every single cell one at a time. I have over 2,500
cells and it would take too much work. My son is charging mee too much to do
it.(i should start charging him for rent and food)

What options do i have?

all help is really apreciated.