Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Dave Peterson Dave Peterson is offline

Default Manipulating a column array into different cell locations

Saved from a previous post:

I think that this is usually a bad idea. It can mess up filters, graphs,
pivottables, ...

If you want to make it look double spaced, then increase the rowheight.

But you can do it a few ways.

One way (manual):
Insert a new helper column
put =row() in the top cell of that new column and drag down (400 rows)
Then convert those formulas to values (edit|copy, edit|paste special|values)

Then copy those numbers to the rows directly beneath the 400 rows.

Now select the whole range (row 1 to row 800).

Sort your data by that column.
Delete the helper column.

Another way is to use a macro.

This picks out a column that has data in it on the last row -- I used column A.

Option Explicit
Sub testme()
Dim LastRow As Long
Dim FirstRow As Long
Dim iRow As Long

With ActiveSheet
FirstRow = 2

For iRow = LastRow To FirstRow Step -1
'to increase the rowheight to twice the height
'.Rows(iRow).RowHeight = 2 * .Rows(iRow).RowHeight
'to insert a new row
.Rows(iRow).Insert
Next iRow
End With

Joe wrote:

I have a long list of 400 names in a column array A1:A400

I want to "double space" this data.

That is, introduce a blank row after each name in the column in order to get
a new
array that now contains the same data spaced out in B1 B3 B5 ....etc....B800

Is there an easy way to do it without dragging and dropping 400 times?

--

Dave Peterson