Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
Ed Ferrero Ed Ferrero is offline

Default Fooling Excel on Time Series Charts

Right-click the chart axis labels, select 'Format Axis' from the drop-down
menu, in Axis options set the Axis Type to Text (instead of the default
'automatically select on data')

Ed Ferrero
www.edferrero.com

I have lots of data based on weekly results, and would like to chart this
data by week. When I create bar charts from this data **without** the
dates
on the x-axis, the charts are nicely spaced and look like a normal bar
chart.
However, when I add the dates as the x-axis labels, Excel converts it to a
time series chart, and the scale changes. Instead of maybe 8-10 nicely
sized
bars with reasonable gaps, I now have very narrow bars spread by large
gaps.
I know I can change the options to increase the bar size and reduce the
gap,
but at best it doesn't come close to the non-time series bar chart.

I'm sure there's some way to override this feature in Excel, but I haven't
been able to figure it out. The only option I've found is to convert the
dates to text, then use the text for the x-axis labels. Is there an
option
I'm missing on this?

Thanks,
Todd