Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
T. Valko T. Valko is offline

Default Use a code to populate a cell with a specific value

Create a 2 column table. The left column will be the codes and the right
column will be the corresponding price.

Assume that table is in the range A1:B16

Then you can use one of these formulas to get the price:

K5 = PS1

=SUMIF(A1:A16,K15,B1:B16)

=IF(K15="",0,VLOOKUP(K15,A1:B16,2,0))

=IF(K15="",0,INDEX(B1:B16,MATCH(K15,A1:A16,0)))

Biff

"braveT" wrote in message
I am using a spreadsheet to track print jobs. One of the things I track is
the type of paper used and the cost of each piece for each job. Each paper
stock is assigned a stock code and has a unique cost. I want to be able to
enter the code and have the cost of the paper automatically come up in the
next cell. I currently have 16 different codes and each one has a
different
cost. For instance, I want to enter the code PS1 in cell K5 and want it to
put the cost associated with PS1 (.03) in cell L5. I have tried to use the
IF
function, but you can only nest 7 in a cell (I think). Any ideas? Any help
would be appreciated. Thanks!