Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Sumit Kumar[_2_] Sumit Kumar[_2_] is offline

Default Forcast Function

Hello ,
I need to use forecast formula outside excel.
I explored the forecast method in excel and could not figure out the
formula. X(Bar) & Y(Bar) signify what ?

Thanks in advance

"Rodney M" wrote:

No,...Excel gives me the formual, but I don't really know how to decode that
algebraic formula enough to come up with a forcasted number. I may have
phased my question incorrectly though.
I think that we figured out the answer though:
Jan(1) - 3; Feb(2) - 6; March(3) - 9...
Plugging the number into this equation will give you the next forcasted
number (given any two months): y3 = (((y2-y1)/(x2-x1))*(x3-x1))+y1

Example: Third month sales (y3) equals (2nd month sales (y2) minus 1st month
sales (y1) divided by 2nd month (x2) minus 1st month (x1)) times (3rd month
(x3) minus 1st month (x1)) plus 1st month sales (y1)

Thanks

"Dave F" wrote:

Haven't you answered your own question here?

Dave

"Rodney M" wrote:

Hello All,
Background: I am trying to figure out how to project my sales numbers for
the year, given a few monthly entries. In Excel I can use the Forcast
function, but I am working in MS Access.

Question: Does anyone know how to break down the way that the Excel Forcast
function predicts it's next value given previous values?

Example: Jan - 2; Feb - 4; March - 6. The rest of the year's numbers should
project to....Apr - 8; May - 10; June - 12; July - 14 ...etc.

The equation for FORECAST is a+bx, whe
a = y - bx
AND
b = (sum(x-x)(y-y)/sum(x-x)^2)
AND
where x and y are the sameple means AVERAGE(known_x's) and AVERAGE(known_y's)

Thanks for any assistance

Rodney