Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
John John is offline

Default using excel text functions (specific to strings)

have a look at Datatext to columns. This might do what you want.
--
John
MOS Master Instructor Office 2000, 2002 & 2003

Ice Hockey rules (especially the Wightlink Raiders)

"Eelinla" wrote:

Hi, I am a bit stuck with my excel spreadsheet. Any help anyone could give me
would be appreciated.
Im working on moving text information (lastname,firstname) format to
separate categories while maintaining the original column. It will be used
in statistical functions after it is moved and must be formulated so that if
the information is changed (ie marriage changes a last name) it will remain
accurate and consistant.

following is an example:

column C contains the lastname,firstname in that format. no space just the
comma.
I need to move the first name to column D
I need to move the last name to column E

I also need to format the city, state zip in the same manner

Example:
column F contains city, state zip ( in that format. one comma after city and
a space after state)
I need to move the the state to column G
I need to move the zip to column H ( I assume using the =Right F3,5 command
should work for this one.)