Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Aladin Akyurek Aladin Akyurek is offline

Default Criteria length limit in SUMIF()

Does

=SUMPRODUCT($A$2:$A$75=B2)+0,$C$2:$C$75)

yield results different from those you obtain with:

SUMIF($A$2:$A$75,"="&B2,$C$2:$C$75) ?

BAC wrote:
oops-Sorry, you're right..the formula should have been:

SUMIF($A$2:$A$75,"="&B2,$C$2:$C$75) and column B has only 30 rows

Nonetheless, the discussion so far has not answered the original question..

Another individual here has been slowly reducing the size of the test fields
and has found that he finally gets correct results at a length of 15. Fields
of 16 or greater continue to return erroneous results. The fields being
compared are text strings of numbers. that you tested with 100 characters
suggests that my problem is not in the legth of the fields, but somewhere
else.

I'd still like to know if there's a limit tho??

Thanx
BAC

"Peo Sjoblom" wrote:

It is certainly not typical having a different size of the range you want
have evaluated A1:A30 and the sum range C1:C75, besides it is useless since
you can't get it to sum beyond C30 anyway. Nevertheless I tested with a
criteria string that had 100 characters without any problems

Peo Sjoblom

"BAC" wrote in message
Thanx Dave, but

No, strings in column A may recur multiple times in Col C.

This is "typical" use for SUMIF() i.e. to combine multiple occurences
into
1 - no?

BAC

"Dave Peterson" wrote:

Could it be that the ranges don't match: 1:30 in column A vs 1:75 in
column C?

BAC wrote:
XP Pro/Office 2003 PRO

Is there a limit on the number of characters that can be used in the
criteria section of a SUMIF()/COUNTIF() function?

Columns A & B consists of strings with a length of 30 to 50 characters.

I get incorrect results when I try to SUMIF($A$1:$A$30, "=" & B2,
$C$1:$C$75) (This formula is copied down so B2 becomes B3;B4;B5...). Is
this
a SUMIF limit problem or do I need to look elsewhere for the weird
results
I'm getting?

TIA
BAC