Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
[email protected] b.broadsword@gwccnet.com is offline

Default Duplicates in Rand Formula

Hi,

Can anyone help me out. I am generating a random list from a larger
list range. My problem is that I it cannot duplicate the first two
characters in the list. For example: a portion of my list looks like:

55-GWP44934A
55-GWP45138A
WD-CLP35803N
WD-CLP97487G
WD-CLP97700G
WD-GWP19171D
WD-GWP27830C
WE-GWP27974C
WE-GWP28039C
WI-GWP45072A
WI-GWP45080A
WI-GWP45081A
WI-GWP45166A
WI-GWP45173A
WJ-CLP93221H
WJ-CLP97539G
WJ-CLP97541G

My formula that is generating a random selection is:
=INDEX(MRO!$C$2:$C$49400,INT((RAND()*UW!$C$56)+1))

I am getting a return value but what I need is for it not to give me
more than one based on the first two characters of the list. Does that
make sense. For example: I cannot have it return me two values that
both begin with WI. Can anyone help me out?