Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
[email protected] timothy@awaycourier.ca is offline

Default Need formula for dividing by "number of entries" in a column or row

Thank you so much Bernard! That worked quite well.

Farewell to Nova Scotia from the Big Smoke

Tim

On Apr 5, 10:25 am, "Bernard Liengme"
wrote:
If I have numbers in A1:A4, then =AVERAGE(A1:A4) gives me the average
But =AVERAGE(A1:A100) gives the same value if A5:A100 are empty (or hold
non-numeric entries)

To answer the question, as posed: =COUNT(A1:A100) will tell you how many
numeric values are in A1:A100

best wishes from Nova Scotia
--
Bernard V Liengmewww.stfx.ca/people/bliengme
remove caps from email

wrote in message

oups.com...

Hello there,

I am seeking a formula that will divide by the actual number of
entries in a row or column. For example, if I want the running
average of "requests for service" on Mondays in a year, but I am only
in week 27, then I can't very well get that figure by dividing by 52
weeks, I need a formula that totals the actual "number of entries" in
the row or column and uses that figure to divide the total number of
"requests for service" of all Mondays so far.

I would greatly appreciate any assistance with this problem.

Thanks,
Tim- Hide quoted text -