Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Ron Coderre Ron Coderre is offline

Default Criteria length limit in SUMIF()

Um....all references to the "2nd" argument should be to the "3rd" argument
(more coffee anyone?).

=SUMIF(1st_arg, 2nd_arg, 3rd_arg)

Ron

"Ron Coderre" wrote in message
Hi, Dave

I believe the SUMIF function ignores the size of the 2nd argument's range.
Instead, it uses a range that is the same size as the 1st argument's
range...but, begins in the first cell refenced in the 2nd argument.
That's why SUMIF works if you only use a 1-cell reference in the 2nd
argument.

Example:
These variations all return the same value
=SUMIF(A1:A10,"DAVE",B1:B10)
=SUMIF(A1:A10,"DAVE",B1:B3)
=SUMIF(A1:A10,"DAVE",B1)

Best Regards,

Ron

"Dave Peterson" wrote in message
Could it be that the ranges don't match: 1:30 in column A vs 1:75 in
column C?

BAC wrote:

XP Pro/Office 2003 PRO

Is there a limit on the number of characters that can be used in the
criteria section of a SUMIF()/COUNTIF() function?

Columns A & B consists of strings with a length of 30 to 50 characters.

I get incorrect results when I try to SUMIF($A$1:$A$30, "=" & B2,
$C$1:$C$75) (This formula is copied down so B2 becomes B3;B4;B5...). Is
this
a SUMIF limit problem or do I need to look elsewhere for the weird
results
I'm getting?

TIA
BAC