Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
bac bac is offline

Default Criteria length limit in SUMIF()

Thanx Dave, but

No, strings in column A may recur multiple times in Col C.

This is "typical" use for SUMIF() i.e. to combine multiple occurences into
1 - no?

BAC

"Dave Peterson" wrote:

Could it be that the ranges don't match: 1:30 in column A vs 1:75 in column C?

BAC wrote:

XP Pro/Office 2003 PRO

Is there a limit on the number of characters that can be used in the
criteria section of a SUMIF()/COUNTIF() function?

Columns A & B consists of strings with a length of 30 to 50 characters.

I get incorrect results when I try to SUMIF($A$1:$A$30, "=" & B2,
$C$1:$C$75) (This formula is copied down so B2 becomes B3;B4;B5...). Is this
a SUMIF limit problem or do I need to look elsewhere for the weird results
I'm getting?

TIA
BAC

--